Ed Tubbs was a giant in Iowa banking circles. He passed away on Friday at the age of 90. He was a friend of this magazine, helping this reporter out when he was just a cub, covering the farm crisis in the 1980s. This obituary gives you a pretty good picture of his extensive involvement in the industry:
Edward Lane Tubbs, 90, Maquoketa, died Sept. 17 at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House, Bettendorf. He was a longtime banker and community leader.
He was born April 17, 1920, at the family farm in Clinton County, near Elwood, the son of Clifton and Mary Lane Tubbs. He graduated from Elwood High School, Maquoketa Junior College, Iowa State University with a bachelor of science degree in animal science, and attended the Wisconsin Graduate School of Banking.
On Nov. 27, 1941, he married his high school sweetheart, Grace Dyer, who passed away in 1998. On March 11, 2000, he married Elaine Marshall in Scottsdale, Ariz.
After graduating from Iowa State, he worked for the Extension Service in Newton, Iowa, then served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He then operated the century family farm near Elwood, during which time he served as president of the Clinton County Farm Bureau. He was a director of the Mississippi Valley Farm Business Association, chaired the board of the Lost Nation co-op elevator and served many years as livestock superintendent of the Clinton County 4-H Club Show. He was a 4-H leader and Little League coach, and served many years as president of the Elwood School Board, during which time he was a leader in forming the Delwood School District.
In 1957, he was employed by the DeWitt schools as instructor for the veterans on-farm training program. In 1959 he was a member of the first agricultural delegation from the U.S. to the Soviet Union. He later made two trips to Russia, first as a member of Friendship Force in 1985, and in 1993, representing the Iowa Bankers’ Association and Iowa State University to the Baltic states to assist in their transition from a central to private banking system.
His banking career began in 1959 when he joined the Jackson State Bank in Maquoketa as agricultural officer, and later became vice president and director. In 1966 he and his associate and friend, John Fagerland, purchased controlling interest in the recently chartered Maquoketa State Bank, where, over the next 44 years he served as president, director and chairman. In 1967, he and John incorporated Ohnward Bancshares which today includes Maquoketa State Bank, First Central State Bank, Gateway State Bank, and Ohnward Bank & Trust.
He served as treasurer, then president, of the Iowa Bankers’ Association, and a director of the American Bankers’ Association. During the ag crisis of the 1980s, he helped found and served as president of Mabsco Agricultural Services, a consortium of 15 Midwest state bankers’ associations designed to provide credit to farmers. In 1987-89 he served as superintendent of banking for the State of Iowa.
Locally, he helped create the Maquoketa Timber City Development Corporation, and served many years as director and as its vice president. He served on the board of the Maquoketa Chamber of Commerce and its Industrial Development Committee. He was treasurer of the City of Maquoketa, a 50-year Rotarian and 9-time Rotary Paul Harris Fellow. He was co-founder and longtime director and treasurer of Maquoketa Community Services, and served on the board of the Maquoketa Senior Center and the Pearson Foundation Awards Committee. He was a 60-year member of the American Legion.
Ed was a trustee of the Iowa 4-H Foundation and received the 4-H Alumni Award in both Clinton and Jackson counties, and was a lifetime honorary member of the FFA Alumni. He served six years as a director of the ISU Alumni Association. He was a governor of the ISU Foundation, and a member of the Founders Club and the Order of the Knoll. For over 30 years he provided scholarships to Iowa State freshmen, 4-H alumni and Maquoketa Community High School graduates, and funded an endowment in the Maquoketa Area Foundation for scholarships as a memorial to his wife, Grace. Other philanthropy included major contributions to the Maquoketa Library, the Hurstville Interpretive Center, the Ohnward Fine Arts Center, the Maquoketa Area Recreation Center, the Extension 4-H Building at Iowa State, and the ISU Alumni Center.
He was a 13-year director of the Iowa Business Growth Corporation, the Iowa Student Loan Liquidity Corporation, and the ISU President’s Council. He was state director of the Conference of State Bank Supervisors, and was on the Iowa Friends of Agriculture executive committee, as well as a trustee of the Sharar Foundation of Clinton Community College. He was a longtime trustee of the Hoover Library Association.
Honors included the Iowa Friend of Extension Award, Gamma Sigma Delta (agricultural honorary) Alumni Achievement Award, the ISU Floyd Andre Award for distinguished service to agriculture, the Community Service plaque from Mt. St. Clare College, the President’s Award from the Maquoketa Chamber of Commerce, the Congressman Jim Leach Award for leadership in the banking industry, and the Bruning Award in Winnepeg, Canada, from the American and Canadian Bankers Associations for lifelong service to agricultural banking.
He was named honorary director of Walnut Hills Bank at the Iowa Living History Farm.
He was a member of the United Church of Christ in Maquoketa, where he served as moderator and in many church offices.
His pride and joy was his family. He is survived by his wife, Elaine; sons Steven (Chris) of Delmar, Alan (Myrna) of DeWitt, and William (Linda) of Eldridge; grandchildren Brigham (Kami) of Clinton, Peter (Joanne) of Des Moines, Joel (Sara) of Delmar, Abram (Nicole) of Anamosa, Mary (Mike) Harling of Chicago, Aimee Tubbs and Moe Provencer of Seattle, Anne (Matt) Olson of West Des Moines, and Alisa (Joseph) Sleep of Columbus, Ga; 16 great-granchildren; and a brother, Charles (Marjorie) of Davenport. Also Elaine’s family: Mike (Cathy) Marshall of Maquoketa, Pam Marshall and husband, Jim Darling, of Fort Collins, Co.; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Memorials may be made to the Ohnward Fine Arts Center, Hospice of Jackson County, the United Church of Christ or the charity of your choice.
Online condolences may be given at: www.carsonandson.com.